Monday, March 06, 2006

Mississippi Reflection

When the idea of going on a mission trip first came up at church I was very excited. I knew I was meant to go the moment the idea was announced. As planning became more and more indepth I became more and more excited. Two weeks before the trip, my heart drops, schoolwork, musical practice, sickness, missing my friends; all these things pop into my head. I don't want to miss a second of the ever busy, chaotic life I lead in Pittsburgh. I stressed over life for the week before, worrying over every tiny detail, however miniscule it may have been. The day before I started packing, it took forever to fins all that I needed. We left for the airport, I had a cold, but tried to remain (or at least put on the act of) my normal perky, cheerful self.

We rode the plane to Dallas, then got on the plane to Gulfport. I was looking out of the window of the plane, and it was as clear as if God had whispered it into my ear, "Don't worry about what you left behind, you can always catch up the work, this is your chance to show the Love of Jesus, take the chance and run with it!"

This trip was eye-opening. All of the devastation shocked us like none other. We were speechless at times, mourning over the losses of peoples houses, their property distroyed, and the loss of lives. All of the people that had drowned by climbing up into their attics and then, flood waters having risen up to the attic and not having a way out, people suffocated. The loss of these lives is devastating, and our nation, while they did provide immediate help, after a few months the help dwindled, and all we that have seen the devastation can think is "Don't you realize the people are in need."

Mardi Gras was celebrated as usual. People walked along streets that had trash all over from the Hurricane, they told reporters how amazing it was that it was still in such a poor condition. And all our team was thinking was "Pick up a hammer! Stop flashing for beads, and start the heavy lifting!" Don't people realize what it is like in Mississippi right now!...and thats just it, they don't realize, they don't understand. I hope that through this writing you will understand the devastation that has enveloped Mississippi and the other states affected.

This is my shout-out to God, He was with us, providing strength, providing knowledge, providing endurance, and providing supplies. His energy radiated through us throughout our entire trip. He gave us the Love that we showed the people we encountered, He is amazing. We sang one of my favorite songs while we were on our trip. Its about how amazing our God is. Here are the lyrics:

I have searched the whole world over,
Looking for the things I thought wouldfill my heart and ease my pain
I can climb the highest mountain,
Or sail beyond the seas,
And it always brings me back to you again.
It's amazing how you love me;
It's amazing how you care,
It's amazing how you're always thinking of me
All the time, everywhere.
There are times when I feel lonely and twisted up inside
On who I am, what I want to be
There's a yearning deep inside me, and a longing to be free
And it always brings me back to you again.
It's amazing how you love me;
It's amazing how you care,
It's amazing how you're always thinking of me
All the time, everywhere.
I have lived my life an outlaw on the run
Leaving broken hearted dreams for everyone
No matter what I do and no matter what I've done,
It always brings me back to you again.
I can look the whole world over thinking that I'll find
Another one who'll know me like you do;
But no matter where I go and no matter where I search,
It'll always bring me back to you again.
Luv ya all!

No comments: