Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Nicole

On Monday, the first day of the actual work of the mission trip, we were informed that our group was going to be participating in a program called 'Random Acts of Kindness'. This program meant that instead of working on the Storehouse of God, and running VBS, we went to the trailor of a family and helped them by fixing up their yard. We were assigned to the trailor of a woman named Minnie, her husband, and her daughter Nicole. On their property there were two trailors, Minnie's, and Minnie's mothers. Minnie's mother suffers from depression and lack of the ability to walk. Their yard was in complete disarray. There was trash everywhere; cans, bottles, car parts, car frames, toys, almost anything you can think of. Our mission for monday was to clean it all up because the family was being fined $100 daily because of the yards poor condition. Another thing causing a mess in the yard was a house that had been blown over by a 50-60 mph wind. The house had not been cleaned up at all.
When we arrived we were a bit skeptical about cleaning everything up but we were all persistant and soon we were actually making a huge dent in the problem the yard was looking so much better. By the end of the day we even had most of the roof from the fallen house taken apart. And although we did so much, and now they will definitely not have to pay the fine, that was not the best part for my friends and I.
Our favorite part by far was meeting little Nicole. Nicole is six years old and her birthday is August 13. She is a vibrant, cute, adorable, young girl. She is sweet and lovable, after we opened up to her she became one of my best friends. The most touching thing about meeting her though were two things that she told me, the first is when she told me "I love God" it was so amazing, the second is when she said "I love you too" she said that after I told her I love her and gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek. I only wish we had seen her more...(Oh, and I guess I also wish I could take her home and spoil her with presents) The last time we saw her was Tuesday, and it was amazing playing with her even though it was raining and as Kyrstyn said "Anyone who thinks that rain brings sadness has never been out in the rain with Nicole."
Luv ya all!

1 comment:

Lexi Elizabeth said...

aww that's adorable. it reminds me of when i went to camp and i took care of this little girl named Jennifer, even though the counselors were supposed to. by the end of camp we were really close. but that was like two years ago.