Friday, August 11, 2006

Tennis

I've been thinking, and planning all summer. I've been unsure about many things. One thing being Tennis. I really like playing tennis, I'm not the greatest player, but I have fun. I joined the yearbook staff this year, and I really like it too. Now here is the problem. Yearbook meets after school on Tuesday and Thursday. Tennis is afterschool everyday. Now I, unfortunately do not have a time-turner, I can't be in two places at once. If I could I would though, because I know that neither group will be thrilled with my being missing. I also kind of want a job. Well I obviously won't have time for a job with my crazy school schedule and then all the afterschool stuff. So I had the idea that, if I don't do tennis this year, I won't miss yearbook, and then I will have time for an afterschool job.

So, I had it decided, that is what I would do. So I told my mom that, and she didn't like that idea, she said I should at least go to tennis for a few weeks and then if it was too much during school I could quit. I said I didn't want to do that, and then a few minutes later she said "Alright you guys, its time to go." My sisters and I stood up to go, and then I asked where we were going, and she told me that we were going to get my physical done for tennis. I stopped in my tracks and said that I was not getting a physical done, because I was not going to play tennis, and she said that she wasn't giving me that choice, so she got my forms and I went to the car very upset and disgruntled. I did NOT want to go.

We got there and they had a sign that said, "Please allow 3-5 business days to complete physical forms". I pointed this out to my mom, she said we were still getting it done. Practice starts Monday, I have no physical form, I will not be able to play on Monday, so not only is she making me go practice, she is making me practice late too! My coaches are not going to be pleased, and needless to say, neither am I.

I told my mom that I would only play tennis if she paid me to, because if I wasn't playing tennis I would be getting a job. She, of course, said that she was not going to pay me, and I am still resisting playing tennis.

This will get interesting I'm sure.




Luv ya all!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

But, I want to have fun with different things. I don't want to play tennis this year!


Luv ya all!

Lexi Elizabeth said...

wow. i have always imagined you and your mom getting along, because well, you guys always seem to. this seems like someting that would happen between my mom and i, although my mom would be thrilled i was dropping out of something and taking responsibility of my schedule, my life, and my sanity. i hope you can drop tennis. does your mom know you can still do tennis other times, just not for school? 'cause maybe that'll loosen her up to the idea? i hope so. for your sake, hers, and well, everyones.

Tim Parenti said...

I don't have to imagine you and your mother getting along... because I see it all the time. This is a bit of a shock to me.

From your mother's perspective, tennis is good for you. Any physical activity is. And you enjoy tennis, and are good at it. So why not? She doesn't want you regretting past decisions years down the road.

From your perspective, you want to try something new, and you're willing to sacrifice something you love for the experiment. Admirable. Yearbook would help you to hone other talents and skills you might need in your desired job field.

From a small-school student's perspective, negotiation might work. Like, Yearbook gets you on Thursdays and every other Tuesday. That way, Yearbook gets you 75% of the time they meet, and Tennis gets you 70% of the time they meet. It's the closest thing to even I could come up with without getting really complicated. Generally, advisers and coaches are willing to negotiate with each other so that each can get the talents they need from you when they need it. You may not get the best position in either group, but you'll at least be participating.

From a large-school student's perspective, there are enough students at your school that either group would probably do just as well without you, although they would mourn your loss for a while. So that small-school negotiation bunk is out the window.

Wow, tough problem. Good luck resolving this!