Tuesday, June 13, 2006

AP English

For the past two years I have taken the offered Honors English class in highschool. Each year we have been given assignments for to do over the summer. For Honors English 9, we had to read: Romeo and Juliet, and Ella Minnow Pea. For Honors English 10, we had to read: The Once and Future King, The Chosen, and The Pearl, and then we had to read two poems from each of 25 poets, and then pick one of the poems from each poet and write half page evaluations on each poem (this assignment was worth about 20 points in the end I believe).

This year I have signed up for AP English 11, our summer assignments for this class are to read the following four novels: The Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick, Walden, and The Catcher in the Rye. Then we are supposed to analyze them and know things like symbols and themes so that when we start school we can have tests and essays on the material without actually going over it in class.

So far I have read The Scarlet Letter and I have made a study guide with a lot of useful information regarding symbols, and themes, and main characters, and climax, and all that important stuff, so that by the end of the summer I can still recall all that I have read.

So far I have read 16 of the 135 chapters in Moby Dick, and I can tell you that I am not loving it. I think I will have to add some other reading while reading Moby Dick, so I don't go crazy with boredom.

Scarlet Letter, wasn't too bad though, a lot of random and pointless stuff happened in the middle, and really anyone that is reading DO NOT READ THE SECTION ENTITLED "CUSTOM HOUSE", IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING! IT DOESN'T EVEN MENTION ANY CHARACTERS, THE ONLY POINT IS TO GET YOU USED TO THE AUTHORS STYLE OF WRITING, AND IT IS 44 PAGES LONG!

I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

Luv ya all!

1 comment:

Lexi Elizabeth said...

ahh. i haven't read any of the books yet. i'm glad you're getting ahead though. thanks for telling me how boring the books are. i'm so looking forward to them now.