Sunday, February 26, 2006

Mississippi Day Six

Thursday
February 16, 2006

Today I was once again placed at the Drywalling house. Today, however, we were split into three groups, drywalling, roof, and painting, therefore we did have enough supplies, we were all able to work in the house. All day we worked on the drywalling. Marlaena and Glen would put the drywall (or as the call it in the south, sheet rock) up, and nail it in, then Linda, my mother, and I would fill in the nail holes, and "Mud" the seams, or where the drywall sheets met. This was a very difficult process. And now, even though my mother and I have worked on drywalling quite a lot over the trip, if you ask us for our advice, or help on the subject of drywalling, we will tell you simply that it is so worth it to hire a professional rather than do it yourselves, it is difficult. The people mudding were not to happy with their jobs, we were kind of afraid that we weren't doing it well enough.... Anyways that took up our entire day.

If my recollections are correct after this we just went back and had dinner and went to bed...Except for a couple of guys that stayed to help drywall the ceiling of a room in the church. I went back and talked to them, and helped Ryan by holding the flashlight, because as I at least claimed that is the only thing I am good at. I had fun doing that. Ryan was great over the trip, very encouraging about everything, anytime I felt unsure about whether I was doing something well enough, he always seemed to be there telling me I was doing great. I felt like Ryan was my older brother on the trip, he was great.

PS. True, today wasn't as eventful of a day for me, that is if I remembered it all correctly...LOL because we all know from reading about Mississippi Day Four I don't always remember every bit right away. So for now enjoy a short post, because I can pretty much guarantee that Day Seven will be a longer post. Not longer than Day Five, but still long.


Luv ya all!

1 comment:

marlaena said...

evening laurel. you all did a great job mudding . . . even though the mudders kept telling glenn and i that we had the "cushy" job that day. hah!

what were your thoughts on meeting nicole and her children at the end of the day (how's that for a memory prompt)?

and just so the record is accurate there was a girl helping hang drywall on the ceiling of the church and we very much appreciated your encouragement and help.

those were sweet words about ryan and very true. i'm glad you made that connection.