Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Poke

So, for those of you that are not so cool as to have a Facebook account I will have to explain this concept to you.

So there is something called "Poking" on Facebook. How it works is this, you go to one of your friends Facebook page and you press the "Poke" button. Then, when your friend logs on they will see a list of all the people that poked them and underneath each person there are two buttons "Poke Back" and "Remove Poke".

If you remove the poke the person will not be notified that it was removed, and they will not be poked back, the notice is just taken off of your page. That doesn't happen very often, I usually just keep poking people.

So today I realized that on my page there is a button that says "Poke Yourself!" If anyone else looked at my page it would have said "Poke Laurel!" So I wondered...hmmm...what happens if I poke myself.

well...

I poked myself to find out. Then I went to my homepage and it said "You Were Poked by: Laurel Ann Smith"....so I pressed the "Poke Back" button...then I refreshed the page. And once again it said "You Were Poked by: Laurel Ann Smith"...so I pressed the "Poke Back" button again.

This is when I realized, THIS IS THE MOST INANE ACTIVITY EVER!!!

I am poking ..myself..and then refreshing the page and doing it again. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again...and expecting different results. So, as I continued to press the "Poke Back" button each time I refreshed the page, because I don't like letting the "pokes" just sit there I realized that this anal insanity was going to drive me up the wall.

So I removed the poke.



Love Joy Peace Patience Kindness
Goodness Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self control

3 comments:

Tim Parenti said...

Hmmm... that's odd. I don't have such a link on my profile, but I took the link to poke you and changed your ID to mine, and sure enough, it asked to confirm that I wanted to poke myself.

In the past, you would get a big, red message saying, "You cannot poke yourself." It wouldn't even ask ask you to confirm.

As a prospective developer, I've been keeping up on all of the Facebook bug fixes. My conclusion is that either some bug fix ended up breaking this, or (more likely) the guys at Facebook have a bet going on, and they just wanted to see how many people would discover it and actually try. ;)

Lexi Elizabeth said...

haha i think it's cute that you were poking yourself. i had thought about poking myself for a while, but then i realized i would never be able to rid myself of that poke, so it would be pointless, as you have just proven.

Anonymous said...

Quote: "The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again...and expecting different results."

Then everyone who works on computers must be insane! I knew it!

Simply stated because on a computer... you can expect different reactions... and they must be insane too because it sometimes works.