Wednesday, June 20, 2007

AP English

I know it may seem odd. In fact many people think that I am insane for this reason, but I really do enjoy summer English work. English is quite possibly my favorite class. I enjoy the assignments and it doesn't seem as much work as math or science. Each summer of my high school career I have been given a list of assignments to help me prepare for the next school year. Each summer I studiously complete my assignments. Then, at the beginning of each school year, I am dismayed to find that many of my peers neglected to do any of the assignments.

I suppose it does not matter too greatly whether my peers work or not. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I do the summer work, and I usually end up enjoying the assigned reading material. I have decided to include the list of my assignments so you may fully understand the tasks that have been set.

These are the assignments as they appear on the handout I received from my teacher:
  1. Read The Stranger by Albert Camus
  2. Read a modern/contemporary novel from a list of selected authors (For this assignment I have chosen to read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
  3. Read The Inferno by Dante
  4. Read at least one poem from each of 57 poets on the attached list, and write a brief informal response to your reading.
  5. If you want to complete one of September's assignments over the summer, define the terms/names on the attached study guide. Use Mythology by Edith Hamilton and/or Bullfinch's Mythology for this background knowledge about these classic allusions.

Now that summer is in full swing I have decided that it is necessary to begin steady work on these assignments. I began by finding a poem from each of the 57 authors and copying them into a word document so that I may analyze them and write my brief response at a later time.

I had begun to read The Fountainhead during the school year for a scholarship competition, but I did not have time to finish the book so I decided to continue this reading for my modern/contemporary novel. I am halfway through this novel and I enjoy it very much.

A few days ago I began reading The Stranger. I finished this rather short novel only a few moments before I began this post. It was a good book. I enjoyed it for what it was. The main theme in the novel is the absurdity of life. The main character is an atheist. Though I completely disagree with the main character The Stranger is still good literature.

I have decided that I must finish reading at least two of the books before The 7th Harry Potter book comes out. I know that once it arrives I shall be thrust into the magical realms, unable to concentrate on anything until I finish reading.

As I have finished one of the books already I am well on my way to accomplishing my goal.

I have also determined that it is in my best interest to complete the fifth assignment which will be due in September. The sooner I can complete my assignments the better off I shall be. I must not procrastinate. This year will be tough, not because of the school work, but because I shall be applying to colleges and my mind shall be rather distracted.

I shall update you on my summer assignment progress as soon as I am able to progress further.

Loving Life

3 comments:

Tim Parenti said...

Only 31 days until Harry Potter 7 comes out on 21 July! Yay!

Gasp! I have yet to preorder my copy.

Oh, and by the way, you are weird.

ctaqu - "see taco"? close...

Lexi Elizabeth said...

i'm kind of behind because i work so much, but i'm gonna try and read a book by like next week ish? and i don't know. i know i'm gonna be behind. and i need the list to do the homework which i hate that my mom lost it! :(

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's a good thing you enjoy reading! I can't wait for the Harry Potter book!!