Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vacation

So, it has been way too long since I last posted so I thought that I would bring you all up to date, (and to avoid getting comments from people telling me I need to post something) I am currently on vacation and now I'm going to tell you all about it, well all about everything that has happened so far.


Saturday morning we woke up at around 8 and did a whole bunch of last minute packing, most of my stuff was ready, but there was still stuff like my toothbrush, and books and stuff like that that I needed to pack, I came online for a few minutes and said bye to Chris again, and then by about 9:30-10 we left.

Now, I really love traveling, I really do. But there is something not to love, when traveling involves being in a car fo 6-7 hours at a time. Yes, that is something not to love, and that is exactly what we did on Saturday.

I suppose if I'm being truthful I should sa that it wasn't too bad, I had fun things to do, I finished reading a library book, and we listened to the 6th Harry Potter book for a while. Even so, we were all very stiff when we arrived, not in our final destination (which is Emerald Isle, North Carolina) we arrived in Richmond, Virginia. That is where our first stop because we decided driving down 12 hours on one day was a bit insane.

When we arrived our car started to at a bit weird. Whenever we took the keys out the clock and radio stayed on, and then we couldn't turn off the radio, so we put the keys in and eventually got the radio off, and then when we took the keys out our clock still stayed on...we weren't sure why. That problem was oddly solved later when we were driving to dinner, the clock was teh wrong time so my mom was changing it and eventually got the time changed and by pressing the 'hour' button somehow that made the car work correctly.... Yeah I know it was weird.

On Sunday we headed into the car and we drove for another six hours until we arrived at Emerald Isle, North Carolina. As soon as we arrived at our condo we looked around, the condo is pretty nice, the wicker furniture is a bit bleh but the spiral staircase makes up for that. After dropping off our luggage we went down and took a walk on the beach, it was a bit cool, there were a bunch of people surrounding a spot of sand that was marked off so no one could get too close, we walked over and saw that it was a nest of sea turtles under the sand, they are supposed to hatch any day, we are soo hopeful that we will see them hatch. When we got back to the condo we started making a puzzle, it was cool there were two similar colored puzzles, one of a sail boat with a colorful sail and one of a colorful hot air balloon, and they were both mixed in the same box, Leah and Steph were convinced it would take all week, or at least til Thursday to finish, we finished it on Monday night, that didn't surprise me, we like puzzles.

Okay, at this point all the days are running together and I'm not really sure what we did on which day. So I'll just tell you a little more of what we did in all. We went to the beach all but one day of the trip, the waves were very calm at the beginning, but too choppy to go into the water without getting creamed on the last two days. We went miniature golfing twice. Both places were charming, the one place we went, you took a "train ride" in mining carts up around the course to the top of a hill, and started golfing from there. The other place was called The Emerald Forest, and it had a Fairy and Troll, magic theme. Every few holes there was a sign that you could read about a certain type of magical creature, it was very fun, and the atmosphere was cute.

One kinda cool thing was that on the beach near us there were nests of turtles blocked off, we were told that it was day 58 for them at one point, and they hatch between day 60-90 normally, so we watched with a crowd of others every night, but of course they didn't hatch. That was disappointing.

Mark had done some research before the trip and had found this Venus Flytrap Trail, supposedly a trail that has lots of Venus Flytraps that can be viewed. Steph was excited, she really likes all that science stuff, I was not in the least bit thrilled, but what else was I going to do...so I came along. I thought, hey it might be kinda cool seeing a venus flytrap...so we drove about 1.5-2 hours, and we finally got to this trail, we walked along it, it was just a giant loop, and once we got to the place where we started, and had only seen 1 tiny lizard, a butterfly, and a dragonfly, I declared that I was right and this was a complete waste of our time...and plus it was hot and we were all dripping with sweat. So Mark, my mom and Steph went into the brush a bit, searching while Leah and I stood in the shade, watched a butterfly, and sang Veggie Tales songs...I think we had the most fun...that was so disappointing. So then we had dinner in the small town nearby and drove the 1.5-2 hours back to our condo.

So, Mark had also decided a geocache would be fun to do, so he found a cache in the area, how it worked was first they gave us coordinates to get to this parking lot, so we entered the coordinates in a GPS, adn started driving, well guess what! After 15-30 minutes of driving around we couldn't find the parking lot. So we stopped and Mark did more research, the next day we went out again with a clearer view on how to get there, once we arrived at the parking lot we followed instructions to go on this trail and get these clues off of signs, well apparently we went the wrong way, because we didn't get numbers that made sense, and when it was finally figured out what we did wrong it was decided that it wasn't worth it. Plus I wasn't feeling well, so we just went home.

But apart from that we did do good things, the beach was fun, miniature golfing was fun, shopping was fun, we went to a few nice restaurants, it was a very fun vacation, and I love Emerald Isle so that was great. Hmmm I can't think of anything else of note...o well the first day we got there someone gave us free passes to this water park, so we went there one day and it was nice, but boring after a while, so the next day just Mark and the little girls went to use up the free passes, and my mom and I stayed home and slept, read, and did puzzles. In all we finished three puzzles.

So that was my vacation!

Luv ya all!

1 comment:

Tim Parenti said...

Wow. That actually sounds somewhat not fun. But I'm sure it really was!